Here's a little update for this month on my 30 Things project. I can happily tick off 3 items - 12, 13 and 27 - and 3 and 4 are now booked up and ready to go for May. Items 5 and 21 are still a work in progress and I've also booked 2 for June 1st - a photography course / walking tour around London photographing the iconic landmarks of our Capital with an expert guide and photographer. The timing couldn't be more perfect with it being on the eve of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Although, still disappointed I didn't get tickets for the concert...
1. DONE - Fly First Class long haul from anywhere to anywhere
2. BOOKED - Take a photography course
3. BOOKED - Experience the Caledonian sleeper train to Scotland & ride around Edinburgh in a funky Billy Connolly style Trike
4. BOOKED - Visit 1 of the countries in my Top 3 “before it changes forever” list - Cuba
5. IN PROGRESS - Sort out proper storage for my favourite belongings
6. DONE - Try 3 new variations of foods
7. Walk the beautiful Jurassic Coastline
8. Complete a family tree with at least 50 people on it
9. Fun family photo shoot
10. Fly in a Tiger Moth
11. Tandem sky dive
12. DONE - Bake a marble cake just like my mum’s
13. DONE - Make a decent curry
14. Finish writing the Dalton Trilogy
15. Self publish an informative eBook on Amazon
16. Publish a paid article
17. Feature photos on shutterstock.com
18. Catalogue my last 10 years of travels
19. Lose 14 lbs
20. Host a dinner party from scratch (3 courses)
21. IN PROGRESS - Build a new desk area for the office
22. Do 1 presentation to an audience
23. Ride the London Eye
24. Interview 3 Indie authors from Twitter
25. (Market and) sell 100 copies of Little Child
26. Take a weekend TEFL course
27. DONE - Achieve 3000 unique visitor hits on my website in a month (Feb 2012 was 2666)
28. Make some serious progress on my Writers Bureau course
29. Local book signing
30. Walk parts of the Thames Trail
So for the 3 items I'm ticking off - first up, I hit over 3,000 web hits for this month. Current total stands at 3,134 but the site is on North American time, so there's still time to bump up that figure a bit more! I'll update in the morning...
Next, you may have seen my tweet yesterday with my triumphant marble cake. Thrilled to have baked one just like my mum's with the added excitement of it being my very first cake attempt!
Finally, today I cooked a delicious King Prawn Korma with my own yellow rice. This is my first ever homemade curry...
And what else have I been up to this month? Well, apart from blogging, I've been eBaying, re-designing our gardens and gutting a bedroom to re-decorate. So, just a few things on the go...!
As we wrap up this series of posts on developing your author platform and online presence, here are some tips on building your blog's readership.
Here's how you can maximise your chances of getting traffic back to your website by leaving quality comments for other bloggers. Basically it boils down to common sense and a bit of a balancing act...
1) Don't be too eager to be first to comment, but don't be last either.
2) Read the whole post!
3) Pick a part you want to comment on and write no more than a paragraph.
4) Add some value to the discussion.
5) Stay on topic.
6) Use an example from personal experience.
7) Don't self promote!
Blogging is an amazing concept so here I am giving it a whirl. You'll get words. You'll get pics. Sometimes a vid or two. You'll get tongue in cheek, the odd humble opinion and an honest insight into my travels and writing life. Maybe even a few gems along the way. I'll be musing on home turf as I see more and more of the UK and sharing my experiences further afield on holidays and adventurous trips across the globe.