Here are 10 things I didn't know about writing for a living:
1) There is only a slim possibility you will be able to give up the day job and live off your book sales
2) Non fiction writing is more rewarding and profitable - easier to find a publisher, higher paid, more books produced
3) To have a shot at success, you must write within a genre
4) To build on that success, you should think about writing a series
5) Each book within the series should have its own conflict and resolution
6) Ideally the second book needs to be written before the first goes to print
7) Even if you manage to get traditionally published, unless you're a Bestseller, be prepared to dirty your hands and market your own work
8) Advances are only loans. Until your book sales pay off the advance, don't expect any royalties
9) Most authors will never "pay off" the advance ie. won't make enough sales to cover the "loan"
10) You'll only make between 50p and £2.50 on a book sale
Still want to give it a go? Of course you do! But stay realistic and plan your finances wisely before you take the leap of faith.
Leave a Reply.
Blogging is an amazing concept so here I am giving it a whirl. You'll get words. You'll get pics. Sometimes a vid or two. You'll get tongue in cheek, the odd humble opinion and an honest insight into my travels and writing life. Maybe even a few gems along the way. I'll be musing on home turf as I see more and more of the UK and sharing my experiences further afield on holidays and adventurous trips across the globe.